- Avoid a flat site with little drainage, especially if a finished basement is desired. Sloped sites offer better drainage and more protection from water entering a basement.
- Avoid having large glassed-in areas facing North or Northeast due to cold Winter North winds.
- Avoid placing driveways on the North side of the house unless you enjoy the exercise you get from shoveling snow. Allow the sun to melt as much snow as possible.
- Take advantage of solar heating in winter where possible by placing glass and appropriate living space behind it.
- In summer, overhangs can shield the sun from intense heat that is undesirable. In general, orient the house with its long axis in an East-West direction to optimize nature’s ability for heating and cooling.
- Consider where future construction will take place when placing your windows. A good view of the lake today could turn into a good view of the newest strip mall.